Place:


Shorne  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shorne like this:

SHORNE, a village and a parish in North Aylesford district, Kent. The village stands 2½ miles SW of Higham r. station, and 3¼ SE of Gravesend; and has a post-office under Gravesend. The parish includes Thong hamlet, and bears the name of Shorne and Merston. Acres, 3,214; of which 165 are water. ...


Real property, £7,417. Pop., 963. Houses, 184. S. manor belonged anciently to the Crown, and belongs now to Earl Darnley. Roundall manor belonged to the Northwoods; and passed to the Savages, the Nevills, the Cobhams, and others. Court Lodge and Pipes Place are chief residences. An eminence in the S commands a very extensive view of the basin of the Thames. A small battery, formed in 1796, is in the marshes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £358. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of R. The church is chiefly decorated English. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £64.

Shorne through time

Shorne is now part of Gravesham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gravesham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shorne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shorne, in Gravesham and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6365

Date accessed: 02nd July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shorne ".