Place:


Linlithgow Bridge  West Lothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Linlithgow Bridge like this:

Linlithgow Bridge, a village partly in Linlithgow parish, Linlithgowshire, and partly in Muiravonside parish, Stirlingshire, at the bridge across the Avon, ¾ mile W of the town of Linlithgow. The bridge was built about 1650 by Alexander, Earl of Linlithgow, and the pontage was in 1v677 granted by Charles II. ...


to his descendant George, Earl of Linlithgow. The battle of Linlithgow Bridge has been noticed in the last article. A quarter of a mile farther up the Avon is the viaduct that carries the North British railway across the river, there being twenty-three arches, of which the centre ones are 90 feet high. Close to the village is a papermill, which affords employment to a large number of the inhabitants. Pop. of village (1861) 560, (1871) 503, (1881) 479, of whom 359 were in the Linlithgowshire portion. Houses 118, of which 87 were in the Linlithgowshire portion.

Linlithgow Bridge through time

Linlithgow Bridge is now part of West Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Linlithgow Bridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Linlithgow Bridge in West Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22202

Date accessed: 01st June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Linlithgow Bridge ".