Place:


Llangelynnin  Caernarvonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangelynnin like this:

LLANGELYNIN, a parish in Conway district, Carnarvon; under Penmaen-fach hill, and on the river Conway, 2½ miles SSW of Conway r. station. It contains the townships of Glynn, Penraelt, and Cae-Gorlan; and its Post town is Conway. Acres, 2,017; of which 185 are water. Real property, £1,797. ...


Pop., 234. Houses, 41. The property is divided among a few. Cairns, tumuli, and other antiquities are on the hills. The Saxons under Edred were beaten here, in 880, by Anarawd. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor. Valne, £225.* Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is dedicatcd to St. Celynin, and is good. Charities. £5.

Llangelynnin through time

Llangelynnin is now part of Conwy district. Click here for graphs and data of how Conwy has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangelynnin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangelynnin, in Conwy and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11760

Date accessed: 03rd December 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangelynnin ".