Place:


Culross  Perthshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Culross like this:

Culross, parl. and royal burgh, small seaport, and par., in detached part of Perthshire, on N. shore of Firth of Forth, 2½ miles SE. of East Grange sta., this being 6 miles NW. of Dunfermline and 7½ miles SE. of Alloa -- par., 7584 ac., pop. 1130; parl burgh, pop. 373; royal burgh, pop. ...


380; P.O., T.O.; has mfrs. of linen. There are ruins of a Cistercian abbey founded in 1217. Near the abbey ruins is Culross Abbey House, seat of the Earl of Elgin; also Culross Park. C. unites with Stirling, Inverkeithing, Dunfermline, and Queensferry, in returning 1 member to Parliament.

Culross through time

Culross is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Culross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Culross, in Fife and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16938

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Culross ".